Search This Blog

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Play Arts Kai Cyborg Ninja Red Version Exclusive Review

When Square-Enix announced that the alternate open-masked head of Grey Fox is going to be included in an exclusive release i thought i'll never get my hands on one. I never thought i'll be covering the event exclusive Play Arts Kai Cyborg Ninja Red Version since i'm really not into exclusives and i hate searching for one online with all the CC/PayPal payments, shipping and handling charges and custom taxes that come packaged with an online international purchase. I guess i just got lucky i was able to sign up for a sponsored group buy as a very late addition. In fact i signed up when he's already here...


Now i would spare you the detailed review since i basically covered it all during my review of Play Arts Kai Cyborg Ninja Regular version which you can READ here if you wish...go on, i'll wait for you, as if i have a choice...hehe.
Technically they are the same figure except for the different color scheme and, please take note, a different set of serial numbers on the bottom of the box (regular = DGTC-1202, Red version = DGTC-1204).
You also get the sticker in front stating that this is the Version Red of Grey Fox...
I'll be honest, I would not want another figure which is basically a repaint of a figure i already have but at a much more expensive price if not for this little addition:
Winner of Fox Hound's "Rosy Lips Award"
That alternate head designed for the regular Grey Fox is the main reason why collectors are scrambling madly for this exclusive. Who can forget that climactic hangar scene of cyborg Frank Jaeger dueling with Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear Rex during the events of Metal Gear Solid for the PS1? Fox is sporting this open masked head during his final battle and it just looks damn cool.

The figure does come with a few paint issues which is a common thing with Play Arts Kai figures these days. The paint on the lips are a bit off up close and some of the blue paint on his back aren't very well applied. The front part though is pretty good, actually, even better than that of my regular Ninja. I'm just glad that he's free of the icky black make-up that S-E PA Kai people are really into these past few releases. And except for that oversized "Red-eye" in front the head sculpt is actually pretty accurate.
The Red version reminds me also a lot of one of my favorite characters: Deadpool. A 1/8 custom Deadpool head could actually do the trick...a cyborg one though.
Red: "Do you remember me now?"
Frank: "Yeah, you must be that  Deadpool guy. The Merc with the Mouth?!"
Dream come true: Finally armed Fox with dual Rail Guns. If only he's got this set-up, the Shadow Moses incident may have ended differently IMHO.
"Lay down your weapons!"
"COME AND GET THEM!"
For the alternate head alone this purchase is worth it though i'm not really impressed with the stunt that Square-Enix pulled on us collectors. I got him a bit higher than a regular PA Kai (based on local SRP) which is not bad considering the price he's carrying right now via ebay (140$-200$? OUCH!). The enhancement to the regular Ninja that this exclusive brings to the table is really good but in my opinion he's not a must have. Heck! i may even consider trading mine later on (for a complete set of the current Play Arts Kai Super Street Fighter 4 figures that is!). 
"You know what? Carrying that head of yours around is starting to freak me out!"

11 comments:

  1. I was very lucky to attend the San Diego comic con 2012 and got 3 ninjas, two variants and one regular I got them for 60 bucks, cheaper than the retail price considering these figures sells for 59.99 plus tax, I guess not tax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you bro, considering that the prices for these are now inflated. i'm far from any event that carried these but i was fortunate enough to get my hands on one. That's why i'm trying to grab extras for my fellow local collectors.

      Delete
  2. Cesar (from Chile :D)September 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

    Hello Jeri how are you, Im the guy from Chile, may I ask you how u bought this variant? I read your post in the FF forums but in the end I didnt know how to get one, any tips? thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^Hi Cesar, i mentioned it on the first part. i got via a pre-ordered sponsored Group Buy from a friend who got contacts abroad. i think it's not available locally yet here in the Philippines. You can get one online.

      Delete
  3. Cesar (from Chile :D)September 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM

    Yeah I got one (posted it in the FF forums again, Im synysterfox) for US$170, tax and shipping to Chile included...Is that ok for this item? Im not so sure about the real price, so I wanted to ask you if I made a good call..was the cheapest on eBay :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^that's good enough i guess, mine's around 100$ all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got mine for $90 all-in I think that's a good price already.

      Delete
    2. yes, that's a good price, right now he's fetching a lot more. too bad i sold my extra already, should have let him gain value.

      Delete
  5. You sold your red fox? Oh man, im too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, but i kept the alternate head. hehe

      Delete
    2. Clever, i was about to lay $150 down for it, if i had the money haha.

      Delete